The Gulf Coast Civic Works Act will be introduced by Rep. Zoe Lofgren and a growing bi-partisan group of co-sponsors on this Wednesday (5/6/2009). I wanted to share some core documents regarding the bill with each of you and some information on next steps below, including asking your organization to sign on to the press release endorsing the legislation.
- Latest draft of the bill: https://gccwc.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/gccw-act-draft.pdf
- Memo on changes to the bill since the 110th Congress: https://gccwc.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/revisions-to-gccwa.pdf
- Overview of the Gulf Coast Civic Works Act: https://gccwc.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/gulfcoastcivicworksactsum.doc
- Draft of Urgent Action Email re: GCCWA: https://gccwc.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/draft_gccwa_urgent_action.doc
- Excel Sheet of Top U.S. House Targets and Contacts: http://www.rfkcenter.org/files/Top100Targets_0.xls
Before the bill is introduced we need YOUR HELP:
1) SIGN ON TO THE PRESS RELEASE: At the request of Congressional sponsors of the bill, we are putting out a press release announcing the legislation’s introduction and wanted to include a list of all the supporters of the bill. I know many of you have already signed on to previous documents but PLEASE EMAIL ME (firstname.lastname@example.org) BY COB MONDAY 5/4/2009 TO BE ADDED TO THE PRESS RELEASE AS A SUPPORTING ORG OF THE GULF COAST CIVIC WORKS ACT! After emailing that you can sign on, please take a few moments to forward this email inviting colleagues at other possibly interested organizations to sign on as well. You can view the draft release below (it might be tweaked slightly, and a few quotes will be added) or at https://gccwc.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/gccwaintroductionpressreleasedraft043009.doc. I’ll email everyone the final release on Tuesday morning with all the groups listed. We would appreciate if your organization could distribute the press release or a tweaked version of it to include quotes from your principles. We will also send the release to every Congressional office urging their support.
2) SEND AN URGENT ACTION: After the bill is released we would appreciate if your organization would be able to send an urgent action to your membership email lists, urging them to ask their Member of Congress to co-sponsor the bill. You can find sample language with links to an action to send to Members of Congress here: https://gccwc.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/draft_gccwa_urgent_action.doc We have a page set up for folks to directly contact their Members of Congress here: http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5107/t/5835/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=1375 If you want to use you own web system or language that is great. If you do send an urgent action, please contact email@example.com with the results of the action. We want to try to track actions office by office, to keep tabs on our levels of support in targeted districts.
3) OFFER FOR DC-BASED STAFF TO ATTEND CONGRESSIONAL MEETINGS IN DC: On the last conference call, DC-based staff from a handful of organizations agreed to form a working group to participate in meetings with D.C. based Congressional staff of key offices moving forward. If you were not on the last conference call and would be able to be a part of these meetings moving forward please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
4) CO-SPONSOR GULF COAST CIVIC WORKS ADVOCACY DAYS IN DC: We will be distributing detailed information shortly on opportunities to support the bill and the campaign during the beginning of Hurricane Season with our Gulf Coast Civic Works Advocacy Days bringing 400 advocates including Gulf Coast residents and their national supporters to Washington, DC for training and meetings with members of Congress and the new Administration. The event will be hosted at George Mason University including Saturday (5/30) registration, Sunday (5/31) interfaith service and advocacy training and D.C. meetings and a rally on June 1st. The costs for registration are only $110 and include room, board, training and DC-area travel. We are looking for organizations who are willing to sponsor/invite their members and/or former volunteers to participate in the program. At only $110, the registration is quite a bargain for an advocacy and training session. For more information please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
5) PARTICIPATE IN NATIONAL WEEK OF PRAYER AND ACTION: Please keep an eye out for more information on this developing event.
-Jeffrey Buchanan (email@example.com)